Sunday, July 28, 2024

MIT-educated neurosurgeon

MIT educated neurosurgeon reveals shocking reason why he QUIT his lucrative medical career after 20 years

Dr. Goobie went through years of rigorous training to be a neurosurgeon

But, after 20 years, he made the decision to leave the medical field behind

The expert has now candidly opened up about the real reason why he quit

An MIT-educated neurosurgeon has candidly revealed the shocking reason he quit his job and left the medical field behind after 20 years.

Dr. Goobie went through years of rigorous training, completed medical school and finished a six-year neurosurgery residency before getting to the peak of his career - which saw him performing multiple successful surgeries each day.

But, after spending 10 years practicing and working to relieve patients of their suffering, the neurosurgeon said he had gained 40 pounds from stress and a lack of sleep.

And while the feelings of burn out were plaguing the MIT alum, the 38-year-old also couldn't shake a nagging thought about greed.

In a 50-minute clip shared to his YouTube account, Dr. Goobie confessed that he had realized the medical system in the US was not built to 'help heal' but was instead created so that 'hospitals could make money.'

MIT-educated neurosurgeon Dr. Goobie has candidly revealed the shocking reason he quit his job and left the medical field behind after 20 years

In the intimate video, the health expert spoke directly to viewers while in the mountains as he shared the real reasons behind his decision to ditch the medical field.

He explained: 'So I used to be a neurosurgeon. I went to college at MIT and did four years of medical school and six years of neurosurgery training. I was a neurosurgeon for almost 10 years after all of that, so that's 20 years of my life.

'I quit last year and nobody understood why I quit. People would ask but a decision like that involves 20 years of your life, you can't really answer that in a couple minutes...

'I'm making this video to help sort my own thoughts out about the whole thing because there's a lot of factors but also to help somebody else who's in a tough spot.

'If they're in a tough spot like I was, maybe hearing my story will help them get out of that tough spot.'

Despite being well paid and having a well-respected role, he admitted: 'Something was not right, I was very unhappy. I was the most unhappy I have ever been and I couldn't really figure it out for a long time.'

He explained that while he was a surgeon, he undertook several surgeries using advanced technologies, but was never able to address the root cause of the illness.

'I was trying to help people but these surgeries weren't fixing the problem. It would help some people feel better, some people would feel the same, some people would be worse,' Dr. Goobie dished.

In a 50-minute clip shared to his YouTube account, Dr. Goobie confessed that he had realized the medical system in the US was not built to 'help heal' but was instead created so that 'hospitals could make money'

'I thought if I did a perfect surgery people would get better but that wasn't always the case... It really bothered me,' he dished.

And he soon began asking his patients more questions about their lives - which proved to be the key to his understanding.

He claimed that people who ate a low-sodium and mostly-plant based diet, exercised daily, had good group of social support, didn't smoke, didn't drink often, slept well and found ways to manage their stress would often heal from pain the quickest - sometimes even before they underwent surgery.

But the medical expert said that despite this being his 'aha moment' it actually caused him a bigger problem due to systemic greed.

Dr. Goobie said: 'The problem is that our medical system is not set up this way... The way that things are set up is that the hospital needs to make money. They need to grow economically.

'The problem there is that if you figure out a way to help patients heal in a way that doesn't include a pill or a surgery then the hospital and the doctor are in big trouble.

'If you figure out a way to help patients heal and you can't charge them for it, well then you just worked yourself out of a job.'

He continued: 'I really felt like the focus of medicine wasn't in the right place - it wasn't in healing, it was in making money from surgeries and pills and images and whatever you can make money from...

'The incentives were not right. Once I figured out what was going on it was a huge problem for me ethically.

'I was doing a job I didn't believe in anymore.'

But Dr Goobie admitted that he had to keep doing surgeries to ensure he and his wife still had a paycheck coming in.

'That tore me apart. I gained 40lbs. I was really sad. I was really angry, frustrated, didn't have hope. I thought I was stuck...

'I knew that I was dying inside and my body was dying,' he shared.

However, after discussing his problems with his wife, she supported him to leave the medical field behind entirely and go on without a clear plan.

Dr. Goobie admitted that he was 'embarrassed' and 'uncomfortable' at first but admitted it was ultimately 'freeing' getting to decide what he wanted to do with his life.

At the end of the clip, he added: 'When you let go of something that you're holding too tightly, even though it's hurting you, and you let go of it, then you're able to pick up something else that hopefully is better for you...

'Trust your heart, lean on people that love you and do what you need to do - whatever that is.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-13637435/mit-neurosurgeon-reason-quit-medical-career.html

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25LUF8GmbFU&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riB2xAWcxoQ

No comments:

Post a Comment