Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A sleepy boy

A 7-year-old boy's mysterious medical issue that caused him to sleep for 11 days straight has puzzled the doctors working to treat him. Wyatt Shaw, 7, served as a ring bearer at a relative's wedding in early October and fell asleep after a long day of celebrating, WDRB reported.

"He was perfectly fine," Rhonda Thompson, the boy's grandmother, told The News-Enterprise. "He danced all night. He was so outgoing. He has just got the sweetest nature."

But when Amy Shaw, the boy's mother, went to wake him the next morning, she realized something was wrong. He reportedly complained of a stomach ache and said his head hurt.

“I tried to wake him up, and he fell back to sleep,” Shaw, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, told the news station. "[I'd say,] 'Wyatt, Wyatt, Wyatt!' And he fell back to sleep again."

Shaw took her son to the doctor and was immediately sent to Norton Children's Hospital in Louisville, where he continued to sleep for 10 additional days, The News-Enterprise reported. Doctors initially suspected a virus or bacteria.

“Every test they did came back clear," Shaw said.

Wyatt was eventually given medication typically used to treat seizures, which helped to wake him, but they still can't figure out what caused him to fall into such a deep sleep. He's also having trouble  walking and talking, WDRB reported.

"[The doctors] said, 'We'll probably never know, but we're just going to treat him now with rehab to get him better,'" Shaw said, adding that her son is still recovering in the hospital.

(video at link)

Wyatt Shaw, a 7-year-old boy from Elizabethtown, Kentucky, has left doctors baffled after he woke up perfectly fine from an eleven-day sleep. Though he initially had trouble speaking and moving, Wyatt quickly made full progress and was well on his way toward a full recovery.

Before the mind-boggling incident, Wyatt Shaw was your normal second grader. He attended his aunt’s wedding and walked the aisle as the ring bearer. Wyatt partied with his family and friends that night, so his mom, Amy, expected the child to be knocked out by bedtime. The last thing his mom heard from him that day was a complaint about a stomachache and his head hurting. Nonetheless, Wyatt went to bed shortly after the party.

However, all the fun turned into a nightmare when Wyatt wouldn’t wake up the next day.
“He was awesome, he stole the show. He stole the last dance—he took the bride away from the groom,” Amy Thompson told reporters. “Monday I tried to wake him up, and he fell back to sleep. I’d say, ‘Wyatt, Wyatt, Wyatt!’  And he fell back to sleep again. It was horrible.”

Realizing that something was awfully wrong, Amy hastily took her son to Norton Children’s Hospital where doctors suspected that he could be infected by a virus or bacteria due to the symptoms he exhibited the night before. But when test results turned up negative, they started scrambling to understand what was going on with the young boy.

Wyatt would continue his sleep for a shocking 10 additional days as doctors continued to run tests. There were a number of electric misfires in his brain, causing him to stay in a state of constant sleep, so doctors turned to seizure medication to help him wake up.

Wyatt finally regained consciousness on the eleventh day of his confinement. He couldn’t move or speak at first, but with the help of the hospital staff, he was slowly on his way to making a full recovery. Wyatt’s doctors have said that there may be a chance that they’ll never know what caused him to fall into a deep sleep, so their main focus was to help him get better.

The case is eerily similar to a mysterious sleeping syndrome that plagued the village of Kalachi in Kazakhstan back in 2013. The residents mysteriously fell into a deep sleep that lasted up to six days. When they woke up, they had no memory or recollection of what happened to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment